The Kentucky State Fair begins tomorrow and with so many activities to do, shows to see and food to eat it can be overwhelming. These money saving tips will ensure a fun-filled fair experience for everyone!
Ways to Save
FREE Weekend Parking
- Visit the Fair on the Weekends and park at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium Green Lots B, C and D. Starting Fridays at 4 p.m. There are 3,000 parking spots that will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. Free shuttle service is sponsored by Miller Transportation, will run continuously to bring patrons into the Fair and back to their vehicle. Patrons will purchase gate admission or present advance discount tickets prior to boarding the shuttle.
Ride Your Bike
- Ride your bike to the fair! Bicycle racks are provided at all gates. There is no charge for bicycle parking but bike riders must provide their own locks. In addition to bicycle racks at every gate, the Kentucky State Fair Bicycle Corral is located at Gate 4 in Lot H. The two new bicycle racks at Gate 6 of Preston are designed to meet the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals national standards.
- Carpool on the weekdays to cut down on cost by having only one parking spot to pay for rather than multiple spots!
- Ride the Transit Authority of River City TARC bus from downtown Louisville and pay only $5 admission every day of the Fair! Catch the “2-State Fair” TARC at Fifth and Market Streets in downtown Louisville. Busses depart every hour 6:30 a.m. – 11 p.m. Last bus leaves the Fair to go back downtown at 11:58 p.m.
- Military Sunday is on August 23! All active duty and veteran military personnel and their families save 50% on admission and can purchase $10 Midway wristbands with valid military ID.
- If you are 55 years or older, take advantage of Seniors’ Discount Day on Tuesday, August 25. Seniors will be admitted to the Fair for only $1! This special ends at 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 20 and 27 is Carload Day! Pay only $20 for an entire vehicle until 5 p.m., includes parking! Does not apply to school and group tours. Only available at the gate.
- Bring an umbrella or poncho – The weather is unpredictable, you never know when it could start raining at the Fair. But don’t worry if it does the Kentucky State Fair is the largest indoor Fair so there is no shortage of fun things to do indoors!
- Bring Cash – The Fair does have some ATMs available but it always helps to have cash for vendors who don’t accept credit or debit cards.
- Wear comfortable shoes – The Kentucky State Fair has 418 acres of total exhibit space, this means a ton of walking! Wear shoes that you feel comfortable walking in for an entire day!
- Wear sunscreen and bring sunglasses or a hat – Always protect your skin and eyes. Apply sunscreen before entering the sun and bring a pair of sunglasses so you can enjoy walking outside during the Fair.
- Stay hydrated – Continue to drink plenty of water throughout your visit at the Kentucky State Fair.
- Parking Spot – Snap a quick photo with your phone of your parking spot so you remember where you parked.
- Charge your phone – Everyone wants to document their trip at the Kentucky State Fair! This will also come in handy for any Fair informational updates on our Kentucky State Fair Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages!
- Groups – Designate a planned meeting time and place if you decide to meet up or become separated.
- Plan for traffic – Entering and exiting the Fair, finding a parking spot and navigating the highways can be difficult during a huge event like the fair. Be patient and anticipate the extra time it may take during the Fair. Also, avoid traffic at Gate 1 and use gates 2, 4 and 6.
- Print Map and Daily Schedules – Visit kystatefair.org and view our printable maps and daily schedules. Plan which gates to enter through, where to catch the shuttle and what activities to see each day of the Fair!