Want to test your hand with award-winning recipes from the Kentucky State Fair? Impress your friends and family with a recipe from our Gourmet Garden Stage! From SPAM to bourbon to backyard burgers, here’s one of the many recipes we’ll be featuring in this blog series.
SPAM Easy Cheesy Grits Apple Casserole
- 1 can SPAM 12 oz. cut in ¼ inch cubed pieces (Any variety. This is prepared with SPAM Bacon.)
- 1 can apple pie pilling 20 oz. (or 2 fresh apples peeled, cored and sliced)
- 8 oz. Velveeta Cheese Spread or comparable brand (at room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups cooked quick grits
- 1 large egg
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- Grease 8×8 casserole dish.
- Mix and create butter and cheese.
- Add sugar, egg and grits in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Cover with cheese mixture.
- Bake in oven at 375 degrees for an initial 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook SPAM cubes until lightly browned.
- At the end of initial 15 minute baking time, remove casserole and cover surface of casserole with SPAM cubes.
- Return casserole to oven for an additional 20 minutes of baking (or until surface is browned and bubbly).
- Remove casserole from oven.
- Allow to cool approximately 5 minutes before serving.
Blue Ribbon winning recipe created by Mark Milbrun of Louisville, KY for the Great American SPAM Competition at the Kentucky State Fair.